Effective from 25th May 2018
Who is processing your data?
Where do we get the data from?
Publicly Available Sources
Providing Data about other people
What do we use your data for?
The main purpose for which we process your personal data is to provide you with services that you request from us through www.contractor.com and its sub domains(the Website). We will process personal data for other purposes, such as marketing (where you have consented), market research and fraud prevention. We will only ever keep your personal data for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which we need that personal data.
We will need to share some of your personal data with some third parties, for example our partners and suppliers. Partners who you choose to speak to who provide quotes to you through our website will need to understand some financial information, employment information, and salary information. With your action on the Website by selecting click to call you will be providing our partners with basic contact information so they get contact you about their services. Once fully enrolled on Website, by clicking “send documents”, you will be providing your personal information that you have provided in the Contractor Locker, to the partners that you choose. Those partners are responsible for how they process your personal data.
Who is Processing your data
We are Contractor.com Limited and we are the data controller of the personal data that you provide on the Website and/or that we collect about you. This means that we are the company responsible for deciding how your data is processed.
They will share your personal data with any insurance providers they work with in order to provide your quote.
To ensure that we can offer you a complete service, information in relation to you current contract, CV information and chosen Provider will be passed back to your recruitment consultant via the Website.
From your use of the Website and our services
We also collect data about you based on your actions, for example we collect data about how and when you use the Website, our mobile app or our services so that we can build up a picture of you as a customer. This can include information such as how many times you have requested contacts from providers, mouse clicks/taps, mouse movements, page scrolling and text entered into forms which we collect through software which monitors how customer use our Website and our app. This helps us to provide you with a good service and to design improvements to our products and services (including changes to our website) but is also used to help us to prevent and detect fraud.
If you use our webchat service we will keep a record of the conversation. We do this so that we have an accurate record of your conversation with us. We also use this data for monitoring and quality control purposes and may use it for training purposes.
We, and our partners collect some of this data by using cookies, web beacons and pixel tags. A cookie is a small file that is placed on your device, which enables a server to identify that device and allows us to offer the best services possible by allowing us to recognise you as a unique user and provide us with information about how you use our website. Cookies are commonly used on the Internet and do not harm your computer system. Web beacons and pixel tags are similar to cookies and allow us to collect information about how you use our website and help us to offer you the best service.
We may use web beacons and pixel tags alongside cookies both on our Website and in any emails we sent to you. Information collected may include items such as the IP address of your computer, the time you visited our Website and what links you clicked on or when you opened our emails. We may also use information from cookies or tags when you click through from contractor.com to our partners' websites. Further information about cookies, web beacons and pixel tags can be found at http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
Publicly available sources
We use some open sources of data which are not personal data (such as information about particular geographic areas) and combine this with the personal data that we hold about you (such as your own address).
Providing data about other people
You will sometimes need to provide us with data about other people, for example where you fill out your next of kin details within the Contractor Locker, in order to complete a joining form for the chosen provider.
What do we use your data for?
The data that we hold is used for the following purposes:-
Part 1 - Providing you with our services
The personal data that we use for the purposes set out in this Part includes: your name, contact details, date of birth, address history, NI Number, Bank Details, details about your contract, CV, pay rate, information about your employment and income, identification information.
Providing you with a service and administering your account.
We use the data set out above to:
- -provide you with the best payroll options for you needs, insurance options, comparison services you request from us (which includes both sharing information with our product providers who collect and share your information as set out under "Who is processing your data" above);
- -send you any reminders
- -send your details to the providers that you have chosen
- -enable you to send the joining information including ID documents to the providers you have chosen.
- -store your documents if you use the "Contractor Locker" feature, we also carry out analysis of your documents to identify the key information from the documents to make it easier for you to find the information you need; communicate with you about our services, for example send you confirmation emails regarding your quotes or your account details;
- -manage, run and administer your account if you choose to set up an account with our Website; and
- -help us build up a picture of you as a customer to ensure that we provide you with more relevant information, such as showing you the right content at the right time.
Data protection law says that we have to tell you the legal basis on which we process your personal data. In relation to personal data used for providing you with a service and managing your account, we process this data because it is necessary to perform the contract that we have in place with you to provide you with our services.
Part 2 – Fraud Prevention
In order to prevent and detect fraud we and/or our partners and/or comparison service partners may use the personal data set out above at any time to:
- Check and/or share your details with fraud prevention and detection agencies; and
- Share information about you with other organisations including the police, where necessary and proportionate; and
- Carry out analysis on data that is held in order to assist the identification of Fraud.
If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud prevention agencies. Law enforcement agencies may access and use this information.
In relation to the personal data processed for fraud prevention, we process this we have a legitimate business interest in carrying out these activities to help minimise the risk of fraud or crime occurring and in its detection.
Part 3 – Other Uses of Data
When you provide your details you will be given an opportunity to confirm whether you are happy to receive marketing material from us. If you confirm you are happy to receive this material, we will use your postal address, email address and telephone number to send you marketing materials by post, email, telephone call or SMS. We do not pass your data to other companies for marketing purposes.
If you consent to us contacting you for marketing purposes, we will disclose an anonymised version of your email address (we use a process called hashing to protect your details) to third party social media sites such as Facebook to enable us to display marketing to you via such sites. "Hashing" is similar to encryption and means that we scramble the plain text of your email address to create a unique and irreversible message. This means that the social media sites do not receive a plain text version of your email address. Where we do this, we require social media providers only to use your information for the purposes of enabling us to display marketing to you through their site and not for any of their own purposes.
You can change your mind at any time by logging into your account and updating your preferences. You can also unsubscribe from emails by clicking on the unsubscribe link on any marketing emails that we send you, updating your preferences in your account or by unsubscribing on our website
This will not impact any communications that we need to send you for the purpose of your quote, for example confirmation of your quote or your account details, notifications we need to send you regarding any rewards you have claimed or communications necessary for any other services you have requested that we provide to you.
From time to time we may want to use your postal address, email address and/or telephone number to contact you to assist us with our research by asking you a few questions about the service you have received or by asking if you would like to complete a review of our services. We may sometimes ask market research companies to contact you on our behalf.
If you would prefer us not to contact you for market research purposes then you can let us know by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferences in your account.
We also use the data that we collect about you through your Website usage to carry out research and analysis into usage and activities on our Website to enable us to continue to improve our Website and our products and services.
In relation to personal data used for the purposes described in this Part 2, we process this data because we have a legitimate business interest in carrying out these activities to promote and improve our business. We have ensured appropriate safeguards to protect your rights when processing this data for these purposes.
How long do we keep data?
We'll only keep your personal data as long as we need it and ensure it is securely destroyed when it is no longer required.
Generally, you can expect us to keep your data for a period of 5 years from when you obtain your payroll options. If you have an account with us we will keep your data while your account with us is active and then if you stop using your account we will generally retain your data for a period of 5 years from that point (unless there is a requirement for us to keep the data for longer)
If you use the 'Contractor Locker’facility we will keep your documents for a period of 5 years from the date you last used the account as described above.
Overseas Transfer of Data
We use third party suppliers to process limited personal data about you. Some of these suppliers may be located in countries outside the UK which may not have equivalent laws in place to protect your personal data. For example, we use third party software suppliers such as Microsoft or Amazon Web Services to process data such as your IP address and email address, which Microsoft and Amazon stores in the USA.
Our payroll providers and comparison service providers may also process personal data in countries outside the UK which may not have equivalent laws in place to protect your personal data. Our partners are the data controllers in respect of any such processing and such processing will be subject to their own Privacy Policies. We do not have any control over whether our partners or comparison service partners process personal data outside the UK but if this do this they must do it in accordance with data protection legislation.
Data protection law gives you various rights in relation to your personal data. All the rights set out below can be exercised by contacting us using the contact details set out under the "Contacting us" section below. Please note that we can only deal with requests to exercise these rights where they relate to personal data that we process as data controller. If you send us a request which relates to personal data processed by one or more of our partners or comparison service providers as data controllers, we will direct you to the appropriate Payroll Partner(s) or comparison service provider(s).
Your rights include:-
- -You have the right to ask us to provide a copy of the personal data that we hold about you. This is called a Data Subject Access Request or "DSAR". You can access information about your quotes by logging into your account. If you want to receive other personal data that we hold then you can make a DSAR. When contacting us please describe the information you require and make sure that you tell us any email addresses you or anyone else have used to obtain quotes with us as this allows us to trace all relevant information. Please also include the following: your full name, your date of birth and your full address. For security purposes we can only deal with requests where the contact details you provide match the details we have on file and we may need to ask you for further information to verify your identity. If you have changed your contact details or you require information sending to different contact details please include a copy of your passport or driving licence and proof of address such as a recent utility bill to assist us in verifying your identity. We might also need to ask you for additional information to help us locate the data that you are looking for. Once we have all the information that we need to process your DSAR, we will respond within one month unless your DSAR is very large or complex, in which case we may need to extend this period. If we need to do this we will let you know. If you want to make a DSAR in relation to personal data that is held by any of our Payroll Partners then you will need to contact them directly.
- -You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate personal data that we hold about you. If you think any of your personal data is inaccurate, please contact us and, provided we can verify your identity and are satisfied as to the accuracy of the correction requested, we will correct the relevant personal data as soon as we can. You can also amend inaccurate data in your account.
- -You have the right to request that we provide a copy of your personal data in a machine readable format or to ask us to send your personal data to another company. This applies to personal data that you have provided to us, which we have processed electronically, such as personal data you entered on our website when you obtained a quote.
- -You also have the right to ask us to delete personal data that we hold about you. We are obliged to delete personal data in some circumstances, such as where it is no longer needed. However, data protection laws allow us to keep the personal data if we need to, for example if the data is needed for fraud prevention. In any case, we will retain your personal data in line with the retention periods detailed under "How long do we keep data?" above. If you use the “Contractor Locker” facility to store your documents, you can delete the documents at any time by selecting the delete option available in the "Contractor Locker" section.
- -You have the right to ask us not to do anything with your personal data except store it in limited circumstances, such as if you and we do not agree on the accuracy of personal data and steps are required to validate it.
- -You have the right to object to us processing certain personal data about you. However, where we need to continue to process the personal data, for example for fraud prevention purposes, we are not obliged to stop processing it.
Closing Your Account
You may close an account, and upon termination of your User Account, we will take reasonable steps to provide, modify, or delete your Personal Data as soon as is practicable. However, Contractor.com may nevertheless retain your Personal Data to protect the business interests of Contractor.com, Contractor.com Affiliates, vendors, and other users, and some information may remain in archived/backup copies for our records or as otherwise required by law. Those interests include without limitation the completion of transactions, maintaining records for financial reporting purposes, complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing agreements.
Our Service is not intended for children under the age of 16, and therefore, Contractor.com does not knowingly acquire or receive Personal Data from children under the age of 16. If we later learn that any user of our Service is under the age of 16, we will take appropriate steps to remove that user’s information from our account database and will restrict that individual from future access to the Service.
WHAT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS REGARDING YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
Attention: Privacy Officer
8 Prince's Parade
01513 700 700